Re: TR Stag questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, dstarr@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: TR Stag questions
From: Ed Devinney <pismobch@well.sf.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1992 20:58:17 -0700
Dwight Starr writes:

> A friend of mine has just purchased a 1972 Stag.

Run, do not walk from this car unless you have large piles of money that
you have nothing better to do with.  The cooling system is marginal, the
heads warp at the mere suggestion of overheating, the crank is made of
cast Stilton cheese, and the engine is shared with no other vehicle on
the face of the earth.  Parts are hard to find at best and uniformly
expensive.  That being said, it will carry 4 people, the top goes down,
it handles pretty well, and the exhaust note is wonderful.  When it runs.

If you've gotten this far...

>1. Where can we find a source for information on this car?  It has
>some kind of V8 but we don't know what it is.
>We need repair manuals, parts sources etc.

It has a Triumph OHC 3L V8.  Essentially 2 TR7/SAAB 4's on a common crank,
but the LH(?) head is different from the RH (common to the TR7?).  Heads
are alloy, block is iron.  Crank is of spaghetti.  Parts mainly from
England, but some in US.  Manuals are hard to come by.  DO NOT LET THIS
ENGINE OVERHEAT.  EVER.

>2.  He is having trouble getting into first and reverse from neutral at a
>stoplight.  Is this just the clutch adjustment or tran problems?
>The problem is intermittant. Isn't that fun!,

This might be the easiest problem you could have - probably a bad hydraulic
cylinder.  Better hope so - the gearbox is similar to, but not quite like,
the Herald box, as are many parts on the car (they were intended to be
sisters, but that idea fell by the wayside late in the game).

I can snailmail stuff to interested parties.  Email for more info.

ed "Stags Are Us, Unfortunately ('71 in pieces)" devinney

ed devinney                                             pismobch@well.sf.ca.us
        "I don't know what the world may need,
         but a V8 engine's a good start for me..." - Cracker