RE: Found an XJ6-III

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: RE: Found an XJ6-III
From: knipper@optilink.com (Ron Knipper)
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 92 11:44:07 PDT
uunet!psy.uwa.edu.au!scott (Scott Fisher) writes:
> Hi Guy's...
>
> I have finally found "my" Jaguar XJ6-III.

Me too.  After procrastinating for years whether to get a sedan and
what kind, I decided to get an XJ6-III.  A few weeks ago I bought a
1986 XJ6-III VP with 67K California miles on it.  It is an extremely
clean car; I would rate it condition 1.

I looked for several months for good sedan which could be used for
transportation (one exotic BC is plenty for me, thank you).  I
concluded that the much maligned XJ6-IIIs were not only great cars
but priced well below similar German and Japanese luxo-yachts.
Besides, the XJ exudes British character, a priceless commodity :-).

The XJs are often maligned for the typical reasons: (1) poor quality
control at the factory, and (2) American owners who do not understand
the level of maintenance _required_ by a BC.  Once you have found an
XJ6-III that was built correctly, there are 2 major weaknesses in the
design.  One, the main seal design is awful.  Expect to replace it
every 40K miles no matter what.  Two, when the cam followers become
worn, they can pop out.  Jaguar has a retrofit kit which holds the cam
followers in place.  It is about $300US.  This work was done
on my car.  Some of the gadgets don't work quite right on my car.  No
big deal; I will get around to them when I have time.

Scott:  Sorry I cannot offer any expertise on re-attaching your
headliner.  I am just learning the car myself.  The Jag interior
construction is pretty conventional.  I expect the spray contact
adhesive would work well.

Since I have been off the net for a while...

The Aston is still alive and resonably well.  It ate (as in:
completely chewed up) 2 fan belts 5 days before Monterrey.  Of course,
these were not ordinary fan belts.  NOOOOO - these were wierd Trelleborg
fan belts which had to be FedEx'ed from the East Coast.  Who said
"a thing of beauty is a cost forever"?.  And, I had to fix the source
of the problem: a wobbling idler pulley.  The saga of electrical
corrosion problems and intermittent leaks continues.  However, I
did make it to the AMOC corral for the Saturday historic race.

I hope to get the Aston down to Palo Alto on Sunday.  It is quite
tentative right now if I will make it.  I need to get the leaks
stopped and the interior re-assembled.  I have been prep'ing the
hides for a complete refurbishing this Winter.

Best Regards,

Ron Knipper
DSC Optilink
707 792 7238