non-hardening gasket sealers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: non-hardening gasket sealers
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1992 14:31:26 PDT
I use Ultra Blue RTV for a lot of things (including contact cement, but
let's not talk about that), but I worry -- worry about the fact that it
hardens, and worry about the possibility of a hardened piece of excess
breaking off and circulating inside my engine. So I also have a
non-hardening sealer on my shelf.

Currently it's Wellseal. The tube that I have is running out, and I'm
wondering whether to replace it with more Wellseal, or one of the two
others that I've seen recommended: Hylomar (available from Permatex) or
Permatex Aviation Sealant. Bob Schaller recommends the Aviation stuff
highly in his little book, but that's the first I've seen it mentioned
-- all the official factory books seem to mention Wellseal or Hylomar
(interchangably, it seems).

So, any experience out there? Any reason to choose one over the others,
especially for engine assembly?