MGB Suspension article...

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: MGB Suspension article...
From: scott@psy.uwa.edu.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 92 16:43:46 WST
twakeman@apple.com writes...

>Scott, No chance of finding the magizine used here. Please do not leave me
>in the dark, which kit did they think was the best & why?????
>
>So Down under Scott, AKA Scott#2, please illuminate us with the test results.

Bits and peices reprinted (without permission) from CLASSIC and SPORTSCAR
(UK mag), pp 92-99.

TITLE: Suspended Animation

Is a review/test of 6 suspension kits to make your MGB handle better.

Kits include...

MOTO-BUILD UPRATED STANDARD SUSPENTION

Kit Comprises: negative-camber front wishbones; V8 wishbone bushes; nylatron
top trunnion bushes; stiffened and 2" lowered front and rear springs; 3/4"
front anti-roll bar; 30-35% uprated front and rear lever arms.

DIY Fitting time: 8-9 hours for the front 3 for the rear.

RON HOPKINSON HANDLING KIT

Kit Comprises: uprated 7/8" front anti-roll bar; new design rear anti-roll bar

DIY Fitting time: 2.5 hours.

RON HOPKINSON ADVANCED TELESCOPIC HANDLING PACKAGE

Kit Comprises: Front suspention turrets and upper wishbones; Bilstein gas-filled
telescopic front dampers; Bilstein rear dampers; uprated 7/8" front anti-roll
bar; new-design rear anti-roll bar.

DIY Fitting time: 4-6 hours (front) 2.5 (rear).

MOSS S.T. DYNAMIC COIL-OVER/KONI REAR

Kit Comprises: combined coil over-damper adjustable front spring/damper units;
new upper wishbones; new lower wishbone pans; Koni telescopic rear damper
conversion; 13/16" front anti roll bar.

DIY Fitting time: 4-6 hours (Dynamic coil over) 2-3 hours (Konis) 0.5 hours
(anti roll bar)

MOSS S.T. HANDLING KIT/KONI REAR

Kit comprises: (suspension mods only) 7/8" front anti-roll bar; new design
of rear anti-roll bar; lowered rear springs; lowered and uprated front springs
; uprated front and rear lever-arm dampers; V8 wishbone bushes.

DIY Fitting time: 12 Hours.

OSELLI GRADUATE

Kit Comprises; uprated front anti-roll bar (7/8" on MGB GT; 13/16" on MGB
Roadster) Koni rear telescopics.

DIY Fitting time: 2-3 hours

CONCLUSIONS:

There really is very little wrong with the handling of the original roadster.
It doesn't set especialy high standards but neither is it significantly floored.
So long as the suspension is working as it should, you might well do to leave
it alone.

The high-rider doesn't handle too badly either, at least in its
revised format with front and rear anti-roll bars.  For all its stoginess, it's
basically safe and forgiving.  It can be improved to startling effect but the
reverse is equally true.

The stars of our test session were undoubtedly the Moss roadster (for its
completely sorted and modern feel) and the Oselli Graduate (sheer entertainment
value).  At the other end of the scale, the Hopkinson-converted cars tend to
take the B's handling in the wrong direction.  The choice is yours.

Further info: 9 different MGB's used in the test. Standard rubber-bumper car
rolls plenty; Hopkinson tele conversion with anti-roll bars tames roll but can
give sudden breakaway; Moss dynamic kit gives roll-free neutral corneting;
Hopkinson anti-roll bar kit limits previously excessive roll but on-limit
handling is messy and unperdictable; Standard chrome-bumpered car rolls when
pushed hard but is safe and progressive; Moto-Build car handles flatly;
Moss uprated front anti-rollbar and Koni telescopic rear is taut and stable
under most conditions but pushed hard will oversteer strongly and lift
the inside front wheel; Oselli Graduate, precision and bite.

Regards #2 Scott.
Scott Fisher [scott@psy.uwa.oz.au]  PH: Aus [61] Perth (09) Local (380 3272).

Department of Psychology                                    /      \    W + E
University of Western Australia.                 Perth -->  *_.--._/      S
Nedlands, 6009.  PERTH, W.A.                                      v

Joy is a Jaguar XJ-6 with a flat battery, a blown oil seal and an unsympathetic
wife, 9km outside of a small remote town, 3:15am on a cold wet winters morning.