Z-S parts, wheels, battery drain, Palo Alto

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Z-S parts, wheels, battery drain, Palo Alto
From: tlp30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Tim Pettenati)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 92 10:53 PDT
I'll try and comment on a bunch of stuff,  as usual I don't keep very good
track of who started the thread in the first place.  Sorry if some of the
subjects have been long forgotten.

Z-S temperature compensator/cover:
I've seen the Z-S 175 CD carbs on older Volvos which appear at the local
Pick-n-Pull from time to time. Something as small as a cover is what my
friend refers to as a "pocket item".  Apologies to Volvo owners, NOT!
So where do you think I got that idle adjustment screw I needed.
(Pick-n-Pull is a local self-service junkyard, wrecking yard, whatever
you call it)

Wheel Offset/Size:
Thanks Phil for the measurement method.  I do have a spare wheel without tire
which made this much easier.  The J-H wheel measures 5 1/2 wide with a 3/4
positive offset, at least I think it's positive.  The hub mounting surface is
is 3/4 from centerline toward the outside edge of the wheel.  Just by
coincidence the wheel is marked 13 X 5.5 X .75, Duh!  The bolt pattern is
indeed 4 X 4".  I'm still looking for wheels, but in no hurry.  The reason
I'd like to go to a 14" or 15" rim is I would like to reduce RPMs slightly
at crusing speed.  Currently I show 4000 RPMs at an indicated 75 MPH. This
is probably off by about 5% since I'm currently using 205/60-13 tires
instead of the stock 185/70-13, so the actual speed is probably 70ish.  I
haven't done the calculations but a 195/60-14 or 205/50-15 would probably
do the trick.  I'd lose a bit of ride comfort but maintain the handling
advantage of a low profile tire.  The larger wheels just seem to look
better, IMHO, and Panasports/Minilites seems to be the best choice to
retain the classic appearance.

Battery Drain:
I think the cause of battery drain in my J-H was shorted diodes in the
alternator.  I'm just guessing because I think the regulator was shot also.
The car seemed to either overcharge and boil the battery or go dead after
sitting for more that a week.  After an alternator rebuild and a new
battery, no more problems.  I'm not sure which part failed first but this
type of problem seems to cascade through the electrical system.  It didn't
help that I drove the car like this for about a year.

Palo Alto British Cars & Mountain Tour:
Could someone who has access to FTP and .GIF please bring a copy of the SOL
logo.  Also some printouts of the 'our cars' .GIFs would be nice, since
I've never had an opportunity to see any of these.  My poor lowly access
to the net via dinosaur mainframe doesn't do any of these neat tricks.