Re: Observation... jack stands

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Observation... jack stands
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1992 15:45:54 CDT
Phil Ethier (phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov) writes:
> Pat Gauss (sp) on PBS' "Motorweek" claims that the stamped ones often fail
> and that you should only use the ones welded from angle.  I have never seen
> even a cheapie fail.

Actually it's Pat Goss. I dunno; I've seen some pretty horrendous welding
on those angle-iron stands. Can you say "X-ray"? Didn't think so.  ;-)
I never had any trouble with mine either, but it is conceivable that they
could fail from abuse; e.g. dropping the car abruptly onto the stands can
pack a helluva wallop. I also had one incident when we tried to put a big
Mercury up on stands on a blacktop surface; one leg on one stand started
sinking into the blacktop, and we gave up THAT idea in a hurry.

I just lower the car gently onto the stands (on concrete) and all goes well.
With the very silent hydraulic jack lowering the car, you get to hear all
sorts of impressive creaking and groaning noises as the weight settles on to
the stands. Gently does it.

-- Andy