LBC history wanted, and some TR6 history included

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: LBC history wanted, and some TR6 history included
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 92 14:10:36 EDT
Does someone have a text file with the yearly mods to LBC's over the
years?  For example, It would be nice to have something like I saw in
the MOSS flyer which was about the TR6.  Basically it showed what was
changed each year from 1968 - 1976.  Very interesting.  Especially if
one is looking to buy another car!  :-)

Here's the TR6 info taken from the MOSS flyer to give ya a flavor of
what I would be looking for...

[stuff deleted]
1970 . New disc wheel with 15 whole pattern.
     . Painted valve cover replaces chromed version.
     . New inlet manifold on carb cars.
     . Steering lock introduced on export cars.
     . Ignition switch moved from dash to under column.
     . Windshild surround now balck regardless of body color.
     . 72 spoke wire wheels still offered although they receive little
       mention.
     . New steering wheel with silver anodized spokes replaces black
       spoked wheel.

1971 . Stag type gearbox parts used.
     . 7 blade fan replaces 8 blade at CP52420.
     . Square reflectors under tail lamps (U.S.A only)

1972 . Compression dropped from 8.5:1 to 7.75:1.
     . New exhaust system. Twin exhaust downpipe for carb cars.
     . Gas tank capacity reduced to 10.25 gallons.
     . Rear springs and wishbones brackets uprated late 1971.
     . Grease nipple on propshaft deleted.
     . Brake calipers changed again, now incorporate metric threads.
[rest deleted]

Anyway, I would love to have a list of these things for MGBs.  Like,
what year did they go from the 3 main block to the 5 main block?  When
did the air pump get put on the car?  When did they go from two SU
carbs to one ZS-175?  etc...

If anyone would like the whole TR6 history I can mail you a copy or
you can get it yourself from the friendly ftp site,
hoosier.cs.utah.edu in /pub/sol/TR6.history.

I finally found my vacuum leak on my 1975 TR6.  whoever said that the
biggest problem about rebuilding carbs is finding vacuum leaks, was
right on!  BTW, the leak was from a *small* crack in a rubber elbow
underneath the front carb.  (this just happen to lead to the vacuum
retard on the distributor.  It idles much better now...  :-)

-Scotty

---
Nobody knows how transmissions work, or even where they came from.
They just arrived at car factories in unmarked crates.  The people at
the car factories put them in their cars.  Many people believe the
transmission was created by beings in other solar systems.  There is
evidence to support this - mainly transmission manuals which contain
bizarre diagrams and deranged alien commands.

-Paraphrased from Dave Barry