Re: solenoid(?) problem

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, rlplant@u.washington.edu
Subject: Re: solenoid(?) problem
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 92 10:04:13 -0700
A whining sound could be the starter motor turning without the teeth engaging.
This means a possible dead or hung up Bendex.  pop the bonnet, get by the
engine & have someone else try to start it.  If it sounds like an electric
motor turning, figure the gear on the bendix is not engaging the flywheel.
If it sounds more like an arc welder, or a metal part vibrating fast enough
to ne a buzzer, you solinoid is trying to kick in but not quite making it.
Normally this means not enough electricity getting to the solinoid.  This could
be low batteries, bad battery connections, bad connection to the solinoid
(small wire coming from ignition switch), or some such.

If its you solinoid you are hearing, I would clean you battery terminals
(good time to check fluid) first.  In my experience, dirty terminals have
accounted for 75% of the time my starter motor wouldn't turn over.

Good Luck,

TeriAnn