Re: OHMY MGC

To: british-cars@hoosier, glb@s1.gov
Subject: Re: OHMY MGC
From: Geronimo x54903 page 951-3432 <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 92 12:26:44 PDT
Gary writes:
>is there a faster way of cleaning the tank?  Should I try laquer thinner
>instead of gas?

If you have the tank out of the car, bring it to a radiator shop and have them
clean it out and put that coating (can't remember the name of the stuff) on the
inside.  You won't have anymore grungy gas problems after that.

>       The second problem is smog testing.  I haven't had to have this
>thing smogged here in Calif for eight years, and now the DMV says I need
>a smog certificate.

They've added several counties to the bi-annual smog check plan.  I live in
Santa Cruz county and until last year I never needed a smog check unless I just
bought the car.

>This wouldn't be so bad, except my air pump is frozen, and I have not been
able to find a replacement, pf course all of the other equipment is there.

It's funny that a '68 would even have a smog pump on it.  I know I've seen some
late '60's GM's and Fords with 'em though.  I have a '68 firebird and a '73 GT6
and neither has a pump.  Many of the smog stations may not even know what smog
stuff an MGC is supposed to have, so if the car looks like it hasn't been
tampered with, you might be able to get away with having a few things missing.
Anyway, I had a frozen pump on a BMW once.  I opened the pump up and pulled the
guts out so the pulley would spin and it looked normal on the outside.  It
passed smog with flying colors.

>So, I'm wondering if I really do need a smog check, or is there something in
>the rules which exempts dual carbs from the factory?

I doubt very much that it's exempt.  They're getting very picky on the smog
checks.  The only cars exempt are pre '66, two-cycle, under 50 CI, electric and
diesel powered cars.  You can always take it to one of the ARCO pass or don't
pay places and see what they say.

Mike G.
gendimen@t12sys.intel.com