Re: Re: Address & Phone for Steele Rubber Products

To: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Address & Phone for Steele Rubber Products
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 92 09:13:57 pdt
> Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1992 13:31:44 CDT
> From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> Cc: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
> Subject: Re: Address & Phone for Steele Rubber Products
>

> Given the large quantity of vinyl and rubber bits in cars these days,
> I was wondering what the net.wisdom is for preserving them, particularly
> things like the windows seals, and especially on older fittings where
> the P.O. didn't give them loving care since Day One, and the material
> has become stiff (on things like solid rubber window strips) or filled
> with tiny cracks (in formed or extruded foam rubber, such as trunk seals).
> I can't afford replacements for all this stuff...
>
> I've tried wiping the seals on various occasions with petroleum jelly,
> silicone sprays, Vaseline Intensive Care hand cream, Armor-All Preservative
> (which seems to work nicely but is difficult to soak into vertical parts)
> and assorted instant miracle interior cleaners. Comments?

I'd be very careful about using anything petroleum based on rubber.
Usually it tend to eat rubber up.  Armor-All looks nice but I'm
suspicious that it dries rubber out.  Glycerin is a pretty good
rubber preservative but I don't know if any of the standard rubber
coating products on the market contain glycerin.  Silicone may be okay.

Roland