Re: ACOC News

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ACOC News
From: lye@elegans.wustl.edu (John Lye)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 92 14:39:58 CDT
Roland sez:
->                               Faced with the prospect of yet another
->dismantling, the author cast about for alternative remedies.  One such
->remedy was to feed various fine abrasive into the air-intakes of the
->offending cylinders.  One suggestion was finely ground glass but he
->rejected that idea.  "So, throwing caution to the wind, a very small
->quantity of jewellers rouge was introduce to cylinders 3 and 4".  I'm
->sure I winced noticeably while reading this.

Actually, something similar was mentioned to me by a long time
Britcar mechanic when faced with an engine that had glazed.
However, what he reccomended was slightly different - baking soda.
Just like what's used in powder fire extinguishers - anyone who's
corner worked will know that race car drivers hate powder fire
extinguishers becuase the powder gets everywhere and *is extremely
abrasive*

I'm slightly worried that the rings in my TR-3 have glazed the bores,
and if they don't seat sometime soon, I've been tempted to try this.

John