Re: MGB door cracks

To: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier), british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB door cracks
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1992 09:02:54 -0400
Philip J Ethier scribed:
 Subject: MGB door cracks
> Daniel J. Dasaro writes >
>
> >fabricated two metal plates for the inside of the tops of the doors,
> >where the common MGB cracks had appeared.
>
> For those that don't know, this is caused by people getting into an MGB with
> the window rolled down, then grabbing the wing window to pull the door closed.
>
> Always grab the top of the door instead.

While grabbing the window frame to close the door speeds it up, the real
cause is the design. The door skin is free to work back and forth
against the window frame, and eventually the metal can fatigue. With
the scuttle shake and body flex of a B, it's just a matter of time.
Welding or brazing the seam is only a temporary fix- I imagine that
re-enforcing with a sheet/plate from behind will last the longest.

Hmm, interesting observation- on my '64 from Texas (PO Sadlers). The stress
cracks aren't too bad. The car has had at least it's share of use and
abuse.  One thing that is different from most B's, is that it came with
a hard top only, and no soft top. This means that the windows don't
get the constant side loading common when you have the hood erected.
Hey Will, did that car ever have a folding hood?

Selling my Alfa got the B on the road, and has resulted in the beginnings
of -Progress-. The rear brakes have been dug out from under a thick layer of
goo, rebuilt, etc. When I scraped some of the British undercoating (grease
and goo) off the rear axle, I found black paint underneath some! Proof
that Abingdon did paint the suspension components. The front end is next-
new 1" lowered springs, HD bushings, kingpin kits, wheel bearings and
unbent A-arm members await. Maybe I'll be able to turn the wheel without
the aid of daily weightlifting...
   ________
  /     _  \        Roger Garnett             (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /   /||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   |
| |\/ ||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | "The South Lansing Centre
| |   ||   | |      Cornell University       |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
 \    ||__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!