booster

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: booster
From: gerry@probe.att.com
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 92 10:01 EDT
> Surely you mean ROTUS of Japan, I believe these are the guys who are going
> to remanufacture the recently defunct Lotus Elan, using the original
> tooling.

> No, I suspect Gerry really means Rotus of Maryland.  They are the folks
> putting Toyota twin cams into a car that is mostly a Lotus 7 replica,
> but not quite (I think its a bit longer in the cockpit or something).

No, I really meant ROTUS of Maryland. THey are putting RX7 mechanicals in
Seven style body/chassis units. I did not know that they are also
putting Toy motors in them as well.

On a different subject, I drove the Scimitar last night after not having
driven it for a few weeks and noticed that the brakes just don't "feel" the
same that they did. This could be an illusion because I have been driving
other cars in between.

It still has acceptable stopping power, although I think that the pedal
pressure is higher than it was. Anyway I bled the system, checked for leaks,
fluid looks good, pads & shoes are okay.

Everything looks good, but still the pedal pressure seems higher than I
remember. I am suspicious about the brake booster (although it is almost brand
new). I have not checked to see if I have a vacuum leak (which I shall do
tonight).

My question is how does one know if the booster is going south ? If I stomp
hard on the brakes, I do not get a fluid leak, so I know that it is okay
internally, but I seem to remember that with the engine off, if you press
the brake pedal and start the engine, the pedal will drop slightly and then
rise again as the booster comes into play. Is this correct ?

Also if I remove the vacuum line from the inlet manifold and suck on it,
should I hear/feel something ?

The other area I am going to inspect is the caliper pistons. I am going to
remove the pads and press on the brake pedal to see if the the pistons are
moving all the way out, I suspect that the pistons may be sticking after
having sat all winter without being used.

Any body got any other ideas ?

Gerry