MG Midget Clutch Release Bearing

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MG Midget Clutch Release Bearing
From: Glenn Stauffer <stauffer@cc.swarthmore.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1992 08:49:30 -0500
I'm in the process of restoring a 1974 MG Midget that was garaged about 6
years ago when the clutch release bearing went for the second time, and I
bought another daily driver.  Now that I'm getting to the point of pulling
the engine, I'm looking for a bearing-type clutch release bearing.  If
you're familiar with these cars, the original part - and the after market
stuff I got from Moss - are made of graphite (or something like that) and
don't have a very long service life.  Someone told me many years ago that
release bearings made for racing are much more durable.

Does anyone know where I could find such a part?  For that matter, does
anyone know of a good source for racing parts for Midgets?

On another subject, I'm derusting all the suspension bits using a wire
brush, steel wool, and acid.  Is there a better way to do this (barring the
purchase of a sand-blaster, unless you know of a real nice, cheap,
sand-blaster)?  Someone on another forum recommended using molasses - is
this a joke?

Thanks

Glenn Stauffer
Swarthmore College