Re: Distributor aha!

To: ian@centric.com (Ian Macky)
Subject: Re: Distributor aha!
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1992 18:36:22 PDT
Hmm. Earlier today I wrote

        The springs are *supposed* to be different strengths.

I would have bet my paycheck on it.

I'm wrong. I don't know where that bit of info came, or why I felt so
certain, but ignore it. I can't find a shred of information to back it up.

So. Yes, the worn spring could be the reason you loose power at higher
RPMs. You should be able to tell if your timing changes with RPM with a
timing light. If you have an advance timing light or marks on the
pulley, you can tell how much and compare it to the specs in your Bentley's
manual.

Other things to look for in the distributor: worn/broken vacuum
advance, wobbling because of wear on the shaft or bushings, broken or
worn nylon feet on the advance plate.

Now, where I found more info: two places.

One is "Six Tech", a publication of Lee Renkenberger and/or the 6-Pack
club. I remember that it cost about $20. It's got lots of good
information and tips for keeping the cars on the road, mainly the 6,
but parts are applicable to the 4A and 250 and GT6 as well. Some of it
is questionable in my mind -- while it may be a good idea to put a
grease fitting into the rear hub bearing carrier, will TRF still take
such a modified hub as a core? Call him at (301) 948-8269 for info
about the book and 6-Pack.

The other is "Technical Talk", of which there are now two volumes. These are
collections of articles from the Triumph Register of Southern California's
newsletter, many written by Ken Gillanders. These cover the whole TR range. I
think I paid about $14 for each volume; call Steve Hedke at (818) 848-8481 to
make sure.