Re: Help! mystery B problems

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help! mystery B problems
From: HERTZBERG JEAN R <hertzber@spot.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 92 13:08:37 MDT
Robert Johnson writes:

I swapped distributors.  No real change.  I swapped coils.  No real change.
I put in new plugs.  Some improvement, but not a lot.  I looked at the
compression and it seemed okay three ~160psi, one around 170psi.  I
rebuilt the carb (a Weber 45 DCOE 9, jetted 130 main 170 air correction,
I think.) This helped a little too, but the problem persisted.  It was
suggested that my timing chain might be bad and since you could see my
timing bounce all over the place when the engine was revved, this seemed
logical. So I took it all apart and last night got the new timing chain

OK, have you checked your vaccuum advance unit? Take off the distributor
cap, and suck on the tube that runs from the advance unit to the carb.
You should not be able to pull any air, and you should see the points
plate move slightly.

Good luck!
-Jean H
hertzber@spot.colorado.edu