MGB transmission question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB transmission question
From: haber@cs.wisc.edu (Eben Merriam Haber)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 92 10:02:55 -0500
This is a post for my brother:

***
I recently bough a used transmission for my '66 MGB roadster to replace the old
3 syncro with only 1st and 4th still working.  The replacement I am told is a
late model full syncro trans.  My questions are as follows:

- It does not have a dip stick, but instead a bolt on the side to fill oil.
Did this happen later on?  I have found no illustrations as such.

- It also has an additional switch, to the back up light, which I think is an
over drive engagement switch.  Would this be on a non-overdrive trans?  Could
this be an overdrive trans with a non-ovd back end on it?  If so, would the
gearing be off without the ovd section?

- Also, do I need to switch my stater motor to the later pre-engaged type
once I go with a full syncro tran?  If I change starters, do I need a relay
and if so what is the difference between the cheap late model relay and the
more expensive earlier relay?

- Finally, will I have a problem fitting it in my -66 trans tunnel?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Graham Haber
***

Send replies to me: