Re: engine overhaul

To: sfisher@wsl.dec.com, zahid@serval.sps.mot.com
Subject: Re: engine overhaul
From: william sadler <wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1992 15:19:18 -0500
Scott Fisher scribes:

>Feh.  You  Spitfire and Midget guys don't know the joy of
>working with a gen-you-wine hunk of throbbing British iron
>like the one in the MGB. :-)  This puppy is BIG and SOLID.
>The head alone weighs 67 lb (just under UPS's shipping limit,
>which is how I found out).  The weight and characteristics
>of the B's engine are a big motivating factor in my epigram
>about the difference between Italian cars and British cars...

MG_B_!? BIG and SOLID!?  I have to laugh just remembering the
sworking that went on when I pulled my engine and tranny last summer.

Check out these figures:
                  cu. "        weight    top speed  bhp     torque
Austin-America    77.9        1852lbs.   85+       58@5250 69@3000
A-H Sprite Mk IV  77.9        1512       90+       62@6000 72@3000
MGC               177.7       2445       125+      145@5250 174@3000
MGB               109.8       1920       105+      92@5400  110@3000
Midget III        same as sprite

These are from a pamphlet distributed in 1969 entitled "7 Ways to
Improve Your Driving" that a friend gave to me.  Little b&w pictures
with a big chart showing all of the engine specifications.

Notice that the MGC weighs more than the Austin-America!  I guessing
the tranny and engine together weigh over 800lbs.

Will

c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c
c  _    _   ___    ___           Ceeasaurus!                      c
c | \  / | /   \  /   \  Will    | wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu c
c |  \/  ||   __ |       Sadler  | or will@cica.indiana.edu       c
c |      | \___/  \___/       Bloomington, Indiana                c
c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c