Extra Cobra Chassis

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Extra Cobra Chassis
From: salil@igor.tamri.com (Salil Saxena)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 92 10:58:26 -0700
>    Someone told me about an article in either R&T or C&D about Carrol
>Shelby having 43 "extra", "original" Cobra chassis.  He said he's giving
>one to each of his grand kids and selling the rest.  Anyone know
>anything about this, or is this a joke ?

        Well this from memory, I read the article about a week ago.  Yes
Carrol Shelby does have 43 original Cobra chassis.  Yes he said that he
would give one to each grandchild and would sell the rest.  The article
also went on to say that the one which he would sell would be very very
expensive.  Additionally, Mr. Shelby has the original ownership records
for the original engines (i.e. emissions testing was not required).

        Mr Shelby also mentioned that he has had to retool several pieces,
at a very high cost.  In order to recoup these costs, he may get into the
replica car business.  Mr. Shelby mentioned that if people want to buy
replica cars of Cobras, then wouldn't people want to buy it from him (the
original creator of the car)?

        Finally, Mr. Shelby had mentioned that he would also like to perhaps
sell parts (which he has retooled) to other Cobra replica car makers.  Carrol
stated that he would like to afix a grade to all the Cobra replica car makers,
so consumers know how good of a replica they are getting.

I hope this helps.  BTW, this was only part of the discussion that Carrol had
with the C&D editors.

Salil Saxena            Gotta love those British Roadsters - '91 Lotus Elan SE
Toshiba America MRI, Inc.                       Internet: salil@igor.tamri.com
S. San Francisco, CA  94080                     Phone: (415) 872-2722 x2283
Disclaimer: TAMI has no knowledge of my postings, opinions expressed are mine.