Alternators, cables and fireworks

To: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Subject: Alternators, cables and fireworks
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 92 11:03:21 -0700

You scribed:
>> 1) Your "Rube Goldberg" alternator connection let go after some extended
>>    period of loose connection (which could explain the flickering lights
>>    and discharge warning lamp). The dangling wires then wrapped themselves
>>    in the rotating apparatus, which yanked them with sufficient force to
>>    rip the alternator and regulator from their moorings.

My Rube Goldberg connector was fabricated after the mishap, as the
altenator caused the connector to melt, and made it non-functional.
In fact in trying to remove said connector, the connector disintegrated.

>> 2) The alternator and/or regulator broke loose first, which then precipi-
>>    tated the electrical storm as the attached power cables grounded them-
>>    selves all over your engine compartment.

That's the thing, nothing broke loose. The altenator turned freely after
all of this, so it was not anyting coming loose, like bearings or the like.

The one thing that I can speculate that might have happened, was that
the high currnt lead from the battery to the altenator had a high
resistance connection (caused by corrosion) and the heat build up from
that caused the solder to melt in the regulator and there by causing the
regulator to short out causing the mayhem.

>> In either case, the fireworks start after the damage is done, not before.
>> Not that this is terribly relevant at this point, of course. Console your-
>> self with the fact that not only did no one get hurt, but you even got to
>> salvage your car. Now fix it up and get back on the road! :-)

Well you are absolutely correct that it is irrevelant at this point. I am
back on the road again atleast until the next minor/major mishap. The
sad thing is that the first altenator I got from the local parts house
was defective. It was not put together correctly. The screws that hold
it together were not tight and caused the altenator to slightly seperate
and the bearings took the brunt of it and froze up. But after the second
altenator all "appears" to be working OK. :^)

I tell you it does not give you a real good feeling to have a car go up
in smoke. Especially when it is your only form of transportation.

Now if I could only get the right pulley for my water pump and a core
plug for the block I could maybe solve all of the overheating problems I
have. I really don't completely overheat, it runs somewhere in the
neighborhood of 3/4 and 7/8 deflection of the temp. gauge. But it is
enough to make one nervous.

Bruce...