Odd part on spitfidget 1500 gearbox extension

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Odd part on spitfidget 1500 gearbox extension
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 92 10:06:56 EDT
|Date: 6-10-92  10:06am
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:INTERNET
|Subj: Odd part on spitfidget 1500 gearbox extension
    I finished putting my gearbox back together last night and came
across something strange.  I noticed a hole at the front top of the
extension, where the selector rod rides.  There is supposed to be a
spring, plunger and cap that goes into this hole.  I didn't recall
seeing it there when I took the gearbox apart and I really doubt I would
have lost it accidentally.  TRF stocks the spring and cap, but the
plunger is NLA.  I can't quite figure out what it does other than give
some resistance to moving the selector rod.  Anyone have any ideas ?

   Dean