TR-250 semi-trailing arm

To: David_Brady.ENGINONE@engtwomac.synoptics.com,
Subject: TR-250 semi-trailing arm
From: David Brady <David_Brady.ENGINONE@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 3 Jun 92 12:11:59
                       Subject:                               Time:11:50 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          TR-250 semi-trailing arm               Date:6/3/92
 I recently rebuilt my TR250's suspension, front and rear.  This included
 new shocks, bushings, and springs.  In the rear I also replaced all
 U-joints, sliding shafts, and hubs.  Having gotten the car back on the road
 I now notice a peculiar effect from the rear suspension.  As I approach a
 turn, I brake,  turn in, and at the apex I accelerate out of the turn. The
 problem I notice is that as the car approaches the apex it increasingly
 leans, when I get on the throttle the car settles into a leaning and
 slightly squatted attitude, as the car exits the turn, the lean goes away
 but when I get off the throttle to resume cruising speed the rear of the
 car wiggles.  It seems as though the semi-trailing arm bushings are so
 compliant that they allow excessive toe-in ( or toe-out) durring the
 cornering process, and as the throttle is applied when accelerating out of
 the corner the orientation of the drive wheels does not allow the
 toe-in/toe-out to relax.  When the throttle is ultimately released to
 resume cruising speed, the toe-in is able to relax.  The semi-trailing arm
 bushings are stock repacements from The Roadster Factory.  Have any of
 the netters had  similar problems?  If my hypothesis is correct, I am
 contemplating going to the harder ($25.00/bush) bushing the TRF sells.
 Any comments?

 David Brady
 408-252-2480
 dbrady@synoptics.com