price for a '60 bugeye.

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: price for a '60 bugeye.
From: dyip@nas.nasa.gov (David C. Yip)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 92 10:11:27 -0700
Hi:

        I'm thinking about buying someone's '60 bugeye and I was hoping to get
some advice on how much it's worth.  It hasn't been driven in the last 7 years.

Good points:

        The engine sounds good and has good oil pressure.

        The body is basically in good shape and is mostly rust free.  There is
        a little bondo along the front of the bonnet, but it doesn't go through
        the metal.  The welds aren't rusted at all.  There is hole in the
        sheet metal behind the driver that appears to have been used for a
        rollbar.  The rollbar in it now doesn't use it.

        It should be driveable.  (see below)

Bad points:

        The brakes don't work.  He said he would get them working before he
        sold it making it driveable.

        The only working instruments are the speedometer and the oil pressure
        gauge.

        The interior is fair at best and is not original.

        It needs a paint job.

        The worst part is the engine compartment.  There's a lot of bondo in
        there.  It looks like someone had cut the fire wall to put a bigger
        engine/transmission in there and then "repaired" it with bondo when
        it was removed.  The transmission tunnel has obvious signs of having
        been cut.  The owner told me that at sometime the original engine had
        been removed and replaced by something else.  The correct type of
        engine and transmission is in there now.

        Little cosmetic things, grille etc., are not mounted or gone.

The owner is asking $3000.00 for it.  I think it's high.  What do you think?

thanks,
David