Re: marque??

To: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller), british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: marque??
From: lupienj@hpwarq.wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 92 13:00:11 EDT
> I've always said "mark".  As in "mark of excellence" or "mark of whomever
> made this thing, excellent or not".  I mean, if you say "mark", the
> infidels who have never seen the word "marque" (theatre or otherwise)
> will think you mean "mark".  Ah, ambiguity!

As was pointed out in the nice dictionary excerpt previously posted to the
list, the word got to the English language from French, and the pronunciation
in French is as the English word "mark". Trailing "que" in French is pronounced
as the English "k" unless modified by accents or additional letters. There
is only slight ambiguity regarding folks who pronounce this word as "markeeee",
they are either simps posing as sophisticates or they have been misled by
such. ("Misled"? Is that pronounced "mizzld"?)

--
---
John R. Lupien