Re: saw a MGB-GT for sale yesterday.

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: saw a MGB-GT for sale yesterday.
From: rck@fangio.asd.sgi.com (Robert Keller)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 92 10:39:14 PST
I went to look at this car on the weekend.  The car was in good shape,
but not completely original.  Various bits and pieces were incorrect for
a 1968 MGB GT.  The front sported two large gauge pieces of rectanglar tubing
piercing the valance and welded to the front section of the frame.  These
were used at one point to tow the car behind a motorhome.  The font bumper
was deformed so that it described two arcs as opposed to the regular one
arc.  Many pieces of trim were nice, but unoriginal.  The boot lid was rusted
out along the lower inside lip.

The car had a nice, but not great, paint job.  I felt that there was serious
trouble waiting beneath the paint in some spots.  One of the regular MGB seams
was completely missing.  Scott, the current owner who is the sales guy for
his car-restoration business, disagreed saying whatever was wrong could easily
be ground out.  On the bonus side, the bonnet was aluminum! Although it had
been straightened at least once.

The engine seemed to be in very good shape.  There were a few missing rubber
pieces, a modern oil filter, a later alternator, and one extra clunk noise
(after the tappet sounds) that I couldn't identify.  The engine block number
plate was missing.   The VIN was there and corrobarated the car being a 1968
MGB-GT.

The transmission and rear axel seemed to be coated in an unusally thick
layer of oil.

The interior was nice at first glance, but then at closer inspection there
were many faults.  The headliner was falling apart.  The dash board was badly
cracked under/beside a glued on tray.  The door panels had been cut to
receive some speakers.  The seat belts were regular old american lap belts,
not the supremely cool kangol ones.  Some of the switches didn't work, and
some plastic pieces were missing.  The steering wheel was original, but really
appeared to be on its last legs.

The price in the Tri-Valley auto dealer for this car was $3600.  It wasn't
worth that to me.  Scott claimed that he had a buyer waiting at $3400, I'm
not sure I believe him.  Oh well, that must be the two dozenth MGB that I've
gone to see in the past year and a half.

One the way home I stopped by a '66 or '67 BGT parked on the side of the
road.  Its paint was garbage, and front end looked a bit crumpled, but
looked perfectly original/restorable.  I walked into the nearby british
car place and was greeted by a sea of Morgans and E types.  What a joy!
Unfortunately, the B outside was not for sale.

still looking for a pre 68 MGB...

...robert