Carb question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Carb question
From: "S." Bateson <enu14@seq1.keele.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 92 13:39:15 WET
WIDTH=78
TYPE=SIMPLE
OUTPUT=TEXT
***
Can anyone help me with this?

I just put my MKIII Spit's engine back together after a

decoke and general clean up. I set the rocker clearances,

but when it came to the carbs and timing I came up against

problems.

1. The engine runs at about 2,000 rpm, sounds smooth (although

revving it gives a little misfire). Unscrewing the idle screw

does not decrease rpm, and the choke is not engaged. Is the

mixture wrong, and making the engine run to fast?

2. I set the timing by turning the dist with the engine at TDC,

rotor arm at no1 cylinder firing position. How do I set the

advance/retard mechanism? At what position is it at zero (ie

not adv/ret the ignition?).

All help is gratefully recieved: So far, I have done all the work

on my Spit myself, with no proffesional assistance. The Spit is a

great car to learn on. After I fix up the engine, I'm going to

teach myself how to weld!

Thanks,

Simon Bateson
University of Keele