Gasket stuff (was Back on the road again)

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Gasket stuff (was Back on the road again)
From: Geronimo x54903 page 951-3432 <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 92 08:12:37 PST
<origional text deleted>

Roland writes:

>I even wonder if this stuff is immune to hot oil.  I had my VW engine
>rebuilt a couple of years ago and the mechanic who did the rebuild
>used this stuff to seal the valve cover gaskets.  I found chunks of
>the it in oil screen for the first couple of oil changes.  I've been
>using the old style Permatex since.

I rarely use the silicon type sealer, if it's put on both sides of gaskets
especially rubber pan gaskets, the gasket can slip out of place.  I use a
little Hi-Tack to hold Gaskets in place.  Some people like to slop sealer all
over the gaskets, but then why use gaskets (like Terriann does).  The gaskets
are there to provide a sealing material.  For valve covers, which need to be
removed for tune ups, I attach the gasket to the valve cover with weather strip
adhesive and put nothing on the head side. No need to re-seal it every time
it's pulled off.

Mike G.