octane, lead, in Europa

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: octane, lead, in Europa
From: medtron!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@uunet.UU.NET (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 92 12:48:51 CST
I understand that all aluminum cylinder heads can be expected to have valve
seats installed, as aluminum would never last, lead or not.  The consensus
seems to be that the material from which such seats are made will stand up to
use of unleaded gasoline.

So my question is this.  Should I feel confident about running my aluminum-
engined Europa on unleaded fuel?  I realize that the stock compression ratio
is 10.25/1, so I should have serious octane to prevent detonation,
particularly when tuned for performance and driven that way.  The 108 leaded
Union racing gas would seem to be overkill, but the cheaper 104-octane Union
racing gas is unleaded.  What do you think?

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  (list goes here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324