oil cooler thermostat

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: oil cooler thermostat
From: hill@eecs.ucdavis.edu (Rich Hill)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 92 15:00:26 -0800
Oh no not another oil cooler question!!!!

Several people have mentioned fitting a thermostat in line with the oil cooler.
How important is this?  (this is fo my 1500 Midget)  Did the 1275 have
a thermostat fitted? (I don't think so but...)

The obvious advantages of a thermostat seem to be that the car will warm up
faster and the cooler will be taken out of the circuit on cold days.
But, the thermostat introduces several more places for oil leaks (just what
I need!) and this is California after all!!  I mean 40 degrees is pretty
chilly here!!  I'm not going to be driving this thing in any extreme weather
(unless I move several states away).  Will the oil get up to its operating
temp without a thermostat????

thanks,

Rich Hill