Re: CLANK IV - The project grows

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: CLANK IV - The project grows
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 92 14:02:24 EST
Dave Ambrose writes:

 > >Jerry, while you are at the machine shop .... You do already have hardened
 > >valve seats installed in your head don't you?  If not, you might consider
 > >another bell ringer special.
 > >TeriAnn
 >
 >      Yeowwzir!  This can be very pricey.  Fully half of my machine
 > shop bill from the b's rebuild was invested in the cylinder head.

Humm.  My head rebuild for the TR6 was fairly cheap.  I was able to
use my old valves *and* springs.  All that was replaced was the valve
guides really.  But they did all the work and made sure all the spring
pressures where to spec for $150.  That included truing the head since
it was out of flat by .006".  A good deal me thinks.  I can post an
itemized price of my machine bill if there is interest.  I had just
about everything machineable done to my engine.

I did not put in hardened seats because I was using the old valves.
I'm not sure if this makes sense, but my machine shop recommended not
to put in hardened seats until the valves receded into the head.  I
said "OK!" since that saved me some bucks.  I am running lead in it at
first though.  I'll probably switch to a substitute once I get all the
little buggies out of the carbs.  And even then, I think I'll only run
that every other tank full.  A friend has been running lead substitute
in his '66 sprite daily driver for quite sometime using the every
other tank method with no ill side effects.  Anyone prefer one
substitute over another?

 > right now.  However, if the valves are receding into the head,  or need
 > major work now,  or I was going to drive the car a lot,  I'd certainly
 > consider having the work done.  Given that the cylinder head is
 > relatively easy to get to,  the work could be deferred until more
 > money's available.

I agree with this.  If the head needs the work today, then get the
hardened seats.  If not, save the bucks for a set of carbs.  :-)
---
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost.  - Rush

Scott Paisley        paisley@cme.nist.gov      ..!uunet!cme-durer!paisley