How do you break in an engine? (was: In praise of Castrol)

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: How do you break in an engine? (was: In praise of Castrol)
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 92 12:00:06 EST
Daniel J. Dasaro writes:
 > >From the archives (Nov 1990) comes this story from Dan Mutchler about
 > Castrol motor oil:

[... stuff delete about engine not breaking in ...]

 > >The mechanic inquired about the type of oil and when he heard it
 > >was Castrol told him to not use it for the next 5,000 miles. Seems
 > >they have had a lot of problems with engines not breaking in when
 > >Castrol was used because it was so slick the necessary friction couldn't

[... second story about engine not breaking in ...]

 > engine to find out why it's going through oil so quickly (by converting
 > it to big puffy clouds of blue smoke).  He found that it hasn't broken in
 > yet.  This is with nearly 700 miles of varied driving with Castrol
 > Motor Oil in the engine.

OK folks.  This is REAL important to me.  I have a freshly built TR6
engine with 1 mile on it.  That's right one mile.  I got it up to
operating temp, took it up the street, came back and turned it off.  I
then took the carbs off to rebuild them as they were running rich.

So what oil did I put in it you ask?  Why Castrol 10W40 of course.
Why 10W40?  Because it was a bit chilly when I started my engine, and
I wanted the extra flow of the 10W40.  What do I do after reading the
above TWO stories about engines not breaking in?  Do I buy some Quaker
State 30W and run my car for a few hundred miles now?  What have you
folks done?  Help help help! Panic in the streets!

My original plan was to run the 10W40 for about 100 miles and then put
Castrol 20W50 in for the next 500 miles, then run Castrol 20W50 until
we reach 5000 miles, then run Mobil1 15W50.

Any truths, ideas, or related facts would be greatly appreciated.
---
No matter where you are, there you go... Unless your engine didn't
break in.

Scott Paisley        paisley@cme.nist.gov      ..!uunet!cme-durer!paisley