I was a teenage meathead mechanic

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: I was a teenage meathead mechanic
From: "DSTONE, 5-9521, BPR: 237-2322" <DSTONE@sc9.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1991 12:59 PST
     Of the many entertaining stories about the $60 Renault
     R10 sedan I had when in high school, this was by far
     the most memorable (& preventable).

          Soon after renderering "Le Junk" (as it was
     affectionately known) drivable, Mr. Starter gave up.
     Now, at the tender age of 17 my frugal demeanor would
     not allow me to pay $90 for a new starter, so I
     relegated myself to parking on inclines until I could
     either find a used replacement or have this one
     rebuilt. Either option required that the starter be
     removed from the car, as at the time in Tallahassee
     there weren't many folks familiar enough w/an R10, let
     alone what it's starter looked like, to be able to
     match it up w/o seeing the old one. So off the starter
     came, but HEY, what to do w/all of these wires ? I
     mean, some of them are bound to be HOT, right ? So I
     better insulate them so they don't short out. For some
     reason the first thing that popped into my mind as an
     insulator was glass (or maybe it was just the first
     thing I laid my hand on), so I confidently wrapped the
     wires individually within a *greasy old rag*, stuffed
     the whole mess into a juice bottle, & happily duct-taped this
     to the fenderwell.  Off I went on my merry way, push-
     starting Le Junk & looking for a starter.
          This went on for about a week until Trouble found
     me. Motoring along in a *bad* area of Talla. (hey,
     that's where the junkyards are), I smelled something
     burning. Probably just a BBQ. Then I smelled something
     REALLY BURNING. Looking around, I happened to glance
     into the rearview mirror and saw Fire & Smoke ! (The
     R10 is a rear-engined car). Stop, run to rear of car &
     open hood. See greasy rag on fire because it fell out
     of bottle & shorted out against frame. See full tank of
     gas very close. worry. pull off shirt & put out fire.
     stop worrying. Tell crowd gathered around car that no,
     they may not start BBQ-ing. isolate wires again,
     better. push start car. FIND a starter.

          lesson learned by-
                            dstone@sc9.intel.com