Hot coil

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Hot coil
From: speedy!gerry@att.att.com
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 91 15:31 EDT

Lots of lines deleted about trying to trace an ignition problem and
coil getting very hot.

> Wild guess: Would corrosion, grease, road grime etc. on the starter solenoid
> terminals cause sufficient resistance to add this kind of load to the ignition
> circuit?

Scott,  I have not heard you mention, but does your coil have an
internal or an external ballast ?

About a year ago, I put a coil on my car and by mistake, left the
lead from the EXTERNAL ballast of, so the coil was recieving a full
12 volts. The car ran for 12-15 minutes and then just died. I touched
the coil, and it was VERY hot.

While I was standing around wondering what was going on, I started
the engine again (after about 3-4 minutes) and the car ran fine.
It ran fine for another ~ 3 minutes, just long enough for me to
pull into my drive-way. Again I noticed that the coil was very hot.
After lots of head scratching, I noticed that the lead from the ballast
was not connect, I re-connected it, and the car ran wonderfull.

Gerry

PS - I have since removed the external ballast and installed a coil
with an internal ballast.