Re: bugeyes

To: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Subject: Re: bugeyes
From: miq@chromavac.corp.sgi.com (Miq Millman)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 91 10:00:23 PDT
Philip J Ethier says:
> >a real fast one, and not stock for collecting but for driving.
>
> 1275 engine, maybe with sidedraft Weber or single 1.75" SU.
> Exhaust header, extra points for insulating tape.
> Extra points for oversize valves and/or hot cam.
> Disk brakes in front.
> Good (not ADDCO) sway bars, both ends.  Extra points for heim joints.
> Panhard rod.
> Tube-shock conversion.  Extra points if it is Carrara with heim joints.
> Really wild ones have been converted to coil-over suspension on both ends.
> 5.5" or 6" wide alloy wheels with sticky 185-60-13 tires.
> Watch for rust on the rear spring mounts.
>
> A Bugeye set up like this will amaze you.

Gee you've just described my Bugeye to a tee.  I also have a longman head,
racy cam, and have done the alternator swap as well.  Actually Spax shocks
are better for the rear since they are more adjustable.  They are virtually
impossible to find these days and run about $75 more than Carrara's ($250 vs
$175).  Coil overs are about $450 for the rear and $600 for the front.  But you
really don't want coils in the front, they are too quirky and really make tire
pressure the only way to adjust the front at all.

What's wrong with ADDCO sway bars?  This is the first I've heard anything
bad about them.  Which do you think are the thing for spridgets?

Miq Millman -- miq@sgi.com or {decwrl,pyramid,ucbvax}!sgi!miq  415 335 1041