Re: Help Stecz look at a Bugeye

To: phile@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Philip J Ethier)
Subject: Re: Help Stecz look at a Bugeye
From: stecz@hotwheel.dell.com (John Steczkowski)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 91 10:22:08 CDT

> NOTE:  I TOOK THE LIBERTY OF SENDING THIS TO THE BRITCAR LIST SO WE COULD HELP
> JOHN OUT.  FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW JOHN, HE IS A REGULAR ON THE AUTOCROSS
> LIST.  PLEASE SEND RESPONSES TO HIM AT     stecz@hotwheel.dell.com
> FEEL FREE TO CORRECT MY COMMENTS TO JOHN, IF APPROPRIATE.
>
> John Steczkowski writes>
>
> >You're into old British iron, right?
>
> Actually, I am now into British Plastic  :-)
Must be rough having to work on that Lotus (lust)....

> >I saw a Bugeye Sprite at a local dealership, I'm not sure what year it is.
> >Although I guess
> >it doesn't make much difference, since they were only made for three years.
> >Anyway, it seems to be in real good shape, not perfect, but no rust,
>
> NO RUST is a very important point.  You don't see them like that much up here.
> If it was never rusted and repaired, this is very good.  Check the area of the
> rear spring mounts very carefully.
>
> >decent paint, real good interior, all parts are there.
>
> Good.  Check the seats.   If you can determine that they are original, you are
> in fat city, collector-wise.  The original rubber floormats are hard to find,
> believe, so if those are there, this is also very good.  Bugeyes did not have
> carpet.

It has carpet, the seats look like they *could* be original.  Should they be
leather?  I'm not sure what these are.

> >It does have some upgrades, like dual SU carbs,
>
> These are standard on a Bugeye Sprite, on a 948cc engine.  The engine in this
That's what this is.
> car may be original (better collector value) or a 1098 (not much advantage in
> driving for the loss of collector value) or 1275 (much better engine for
> driving, same loss of collector value).  Tell us the serial number.
>
> >front disks
>
> These are updates to later "Spridget" specs.  The disks are FAR better for
> driving, some loss of collector value.  The installation is completely
> reversible, but you have to have the parts.
>
> >and an oil cooler.
>
> The oil cooler is a good deal in Texas, I never really needed one in my 1275
> Spridget up here in Minnesota.  If it is an update to later Spridget specs,
>the
> loss of collector value may be lessened.  If it is an aftermarket with a
> spin-on oil filter conversion, it will be more convenient, with suitable loss
> of collector value.

I don't think it has an aftermarket spin on cooler.  Does it have a filter
at all?

> >The initial asking price is $5200, this sounds a little high to me.
>
> This would be too high for a Spridget, unless it was PERFECT.  For a Bugeye it
> may be OK.  The Bugeyes are commanding much higher prices, both for original
> and "updated" (1275, discs, later wide wheels [4.5"!]) examples.  Spridgets
>are

This has spoke rims.

> easier to live with, having opening trunks.  The later Spridgets have Roll-up
> windows.
>
> >What do you think, what are things I should look for.
>
> Rust, hidden body damage, rust, odd modifications that are hard to retro
>later,
> rust, incorrect steering wheel, rust, fit of the bonnet and doors, rust,
> instruments all work, and did I mention to look for hidden rust?
>
> Warning:  Do not drive this car if you ever want to be happy with the steering
> in your RX-7 again.  Bugeyes and Spridgets have telepathic steering like a
> racing cart.  At your next autocross, you will be muttering about the slow,
> mushy steering in the Mazda, even though you like it now.  The gearchange is
> damn nice, too.  Get a spare (save the original for the collector value) lever
> and cut it to 2/3 it's normal length and you will swear it is the best you
>have
> ever shifted.

That's what I've heard, I might have to go test drive it.  Even my wife
likes it, and that's saying something.

--
  John Steczkowski                                 stecz@hotwheel.dell.com
     Dell Computer Corp., 9505 Arboretum Blvd., Austin, Texas, 78759