RE>ignition switch and hood

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: RE>ignition switch and hood
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 28 Aug 91 09:09:15
        Reply to:   RE>ignition switch and hood pr
Todd Stepp writes:

First, the ignition switch on the 79 MGB accepts the key but doesn't
always want to turn.  With a lot of wiggling a cursing it turn and
off I go.   Any suggestions?  The switch was replaced in 1986...

**** It sounds like either the key or the pins in the lock cylinder are worn
out.  If you take the lock apart it should be quite obvious what the problem
is.  Get it apart to where you have the lock cylinder bare on the bench.  The
pins will be sticking out  along one side of the cylinder.  Stick the key in.
All the pins should retreat into the cylinder.  The one that doesn't, or that
goes in too far and sticks out the other side, is the culprit.  If you have a
blank for that particular key, you can then make up a key that compensates for
the wear.   But before taking the lock apart, you might try lubricating it with
some graphite on the key.

Next,  I'll be driving along and all of the sudden the hood, excuse me,
the bonnet comes unlatched.  Luckly the secondary latch has not failed
while going 60 down the freeway.  I still have plenty of time to pull
off and push the bonnet down.  Any suggestions on this one?  I am afraid
I may be posting later explaining how I wrecked it on the freeway because
the bonnet flew back and blocked my vision :(  This would not be a good
thing!!!

**** What you need, is a large hood scoop.  Not only will it look cool, but you
can look through it to keep driving when the hood pops up.  :-)

    - Jerry Kaidor