New reader questions

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: New reader questions
From: schuette@roadkill.nrl.navy.mil (Larry Schuette)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 91 18:34:25 EDT
        I subscribed to this list because I'm interested in
Big Healeys and MGAs.  Mainly, I'd like to purchase one (either)
in driveable, but needs work condition.

        I can do my own painting, welding, and engine work (only
limited by "Honey can do" projects -- Honey can you take out the
trash?, etc).

What's the best way to purchase a Healey or MGA, and what can I
reasonably expect to pay?

Are there any books on restoring older cars that would be worth reading?

I've owned a Lotus JPS, and a '72 Jag XJ6, but they were not 25 - 30 years
old.  What other problems can I expect to crop up given the extra 15 years?

Finally, does anyone have a "check list" of things to watch for when
purchasing/restoring an old, but very fun car?  I was thinking of hidden
rust areas or seals that have gone bad from sitting for a long time...

I look forward to reading more from this list.

Larry
        "No guts, no glory.  If you're going to shoot him down,
        you have to get in there and mix it up with him."  Major Blesse

Lawrence C. Schuette                      schuette@roadkill.nrl.navy.mil
Code 5133                                 (202)767-2739
Naval Research Laboratory
Washington D.C. 20375-5000