re: cranking the TR

To: sjc%ssi%uunet.uu.net@bcr.pa.dec.com
Subject: re: cranking the TR
From: whs70%taichi@bellcore.bellcore.com (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 1 Aug 1991 11:44 EDT
>Subject: cranking the TR
>
>The damn starter in my TR3 went, and I though I didn't have my hand crank
>with me, I started to think about trying to learn how to start it with the
>crank.  Has anyone ever tried this?  Is it hard to do?  Do you run the risk
>of breaking an arm or thumb if you do it wrong?

I have started my TR-3 with the crank.  In theory, the design of
the front pully bolt should not allow it to kick back on you.
In practice, never give it the chance.  ALWAYS, pull UP on the
starter crank and immediatelly release your hold on it.  This way
your arm/hand is not in a position to get smacked by the crank
if it should somehow not disengage, or if the engine tries
to kick back.

I'd guess that its a good idea to "prime" the carbs first if
you are trying to start a cold engine.  Also, the cranking
process most likely depends alot on having an engine'
that is in a proper state of tune.

As part of their convention events, the TRA (Triumph Register
of America) has a hand crank contest each year.

Bill