Torque or Myriatorque?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Torque or Myriatorque?
From: mit-eddie!usc.edu!jean%spock.usc.edu@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (jean hertzberg)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 17:37:02 PDT
Waaaaal, here's what I learned as an engineering student:

Torque is defined as a force at a distance, with the force acting
perpedicular to the line connecting the point of application of the
force and the center of rotation. So a foot-pound is the force of one
pound at a distance of one foot. An inch-pound is one twelfth of a
foot-pound. Here's some other conversion factors I'm sure you'll
enjoy.

To convert from foot-pounds multiply
by 1.2860x10e-3  to obtain british thermal units (BTU)
1.3560x10e7                ergs
3.2410x10e-1               gram-calories
5.0500x10e-7               horsepower-hours
1.3560                     joules
3.2410x10e-4               kilogram-calories
1.3830x10e-1               kilogram-meters
3.7660x10e-7               kilowatt-hours

I find some of these equivalencies hard to swallow, but anytime you
need to convert between hogsheads(British) and hogsheads(U.S.), or
work with slugs,scruples(=20 grains),rope,rods,webers(1x10e5 kilolines)
or british gills, I recommend one of these here Handbook of
Conversion Factors, from
International Research Service, Inc.
P.O.Box 225, Blue Bell PA 19422
Jean@spock.usc.edu