U Joints, rocker panels and bearings

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: U Joints, rocker panels and bearings
From: mit-eddie!ftp.com!mason@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Nark Mason)
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 90 20:07:08 -0500
    With all this talk of replacing U joints I'd like to put in my two cents.
Get the U joints with a grease nipple! I see an awful lot of them that you
can't lube, I like to get crazy with my grease gun fairly frequently.

    Randell, something to look out for in your TR6. I was patching rust
on my TR250 and found the front fenders had about 3 inches of really good
*loam* in them - high in iron - nice and soggy. They had been patched
before, I guess noone had emptied them. I blasted them out with a water
hose (through the rust holes I had been able to poke to size with my hands)
and dried 'em out.

    Everyone's talking about shreiking and failing bearings, I'll relate
something funny (?) that happened to us lately. A friend has an early 70's
Triumph Daytona (500 cc twin - motorcycle, but *very* british) that had
started making funny noises from the gearbox. We took it apart (Yow! Easy
and Fun bike to work on!), popped out the layshaft, and out falls lots of
little... cheese doodles? They were like 1/8" peices of square wire about
3/4" long bent to 1/3 circle, almost like beefy piston rings broken into
small peices. Lo and Behold! One of the *needle*bearings* was missing!
The bearings had rotated 90 degrees and stuck. And went many miles like
that. And ate the layshaft, first gear, a few cc's of bushing, but the
parts box proved fruitful, so we're putting it back together tonight.
Wish I could post a picture of the suckers, I saved them, they ought to
be good for many more laughs...