Re: frozen speedo?

To: sfisher@wsl.dec.com, twakeman@apple.com
Subject: Re: frozen speedo?
From: mit-eddie!sco.COM!banta@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (no user servicable parts inside)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 90 6:47:08 PDT
Teriann writes:
>I have been having problems staying ahead of many Japaneese & German cars
>while climbing the Santa Cruz mountains.  They all see to have more power
>than the MGB. I have the B floored & they are passing me  {on hwy 17} or
>sitting on my tail {old San Jose road}.  Whats a poor girl to do!
>I would like to keep the car smog legal, but also get more HP.  I have a spare
>set of 1-3/4 carbs from my TR3. Would that help or hinder if I kept the stock
>exhaust & cam? Where is the power restriction in this engine?

What Scott said!

My Bs have never had any problem maintaining 65 on any of the uphill
sections of 17.

Scott didn't mention this.  Before you spend lots of time banging
your head against your engine block trying to get more power (not
that head banging helps a whole lot), do a compression check.  I'd
say any compression reading below about 90, or all compression
readings below about 110 means that it's about time to yank the
engine.  For reference, a compression check on my engine after a
rebuild (HC pistons, 8.7:1), showed 170-180 for all cylinders.

Good luck.  I hope just some tuning does it for you.

andy
banta@sco.com