TR-6 deal?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: TR-6 deal?
From: mit-eddie!hp6600.desk.hp.com!larry_schwarcz%q0@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 8 Aug 90 13:44 -0800
Hey, everyone,

Well, here's yet *another* car that I'm going to check out.

It's a '71 TR-6.  I haven't seen it yet, but, the owner says that
it's been sitting for the past two years outside (but covered).
The color is a dark green.  So dark, in fact, that at a glance it looks
black.

He claims that...
  - Body in good shape
  - Runs OK.
  - Third gear is *hosed*.  I guess that it got so bad, that he'd just
    go from second straight to fourth.
  - He's owned it since high school, but, I don't know what year he bought
    it or how many other owners there were.
  - He also has brand new bumpers (still in the plastic wrap) that are ready
    to put on.
  - No carpet in the car.
  - The roof is shot.  I don't know if it leaks, but the rear window is in
    horrible shape.

He's in no big hurry to sell it.  The car isn't even advertised anywhere.
I found out about it through a friends friend.

Anyway, he said that the price is about $1500, but, that he's willing to
really deal a lot.  I'm guessing that $1000 in cash would be plenty for
him.

So, the question is:  What is the car worth?   Any comments on things to
look for?  Any comments on early TR-6's in general?
Any thoughts on the non-stock color?  Will that de-value the car?

I really wanted to get a '69 or '70, but if this is a really good deal,
I might be interested.

Thanks in advance for the help!

             Larry Schwarcz
             HP Cupertino, CA