BL A-arms on a Triumph Spitfire

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: BL A-arms on a Triumph Spitfire
From: mit-eddie!uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU!ks5k@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 90 10:21:25 EDT

        Recently there has been some talk about faulty A-arms on
MG's, here is a question about faulty design of the Spitfire A-arm:

        The connection of the front sway bar to my '79 Spitfire's
lower left front A-arm has broken loose.  There is a little loop that
sticks up from the A-arm to hold the sway bar ball-joint connection in
place, this loop has broken through.  It doesn't look like it would
take much to do it either, a medium sized pot-hole or so.  Since the
sway bar is mounted on top of the A-arm it is still doing half of its
job so I am still driving it (carefully).  Has anyone else had this
problem? Have you found a good (better than orig) way to fix it?  I'd
rather not replace the whole arm, it seems there must be a hardware
store solution.

        Does anyone else agree that this is faulty design?  Are the
MGB and Spitfire A-arms the same BL part?  In any case you might want
to check out your sway bar connections and make sure this hasn't
happened to you also.

tootle pip,

Kristian Simsarian