Top Down

To: Alliant.COM!british-cars@acsu.buffalo.edu
Subject: Top Down
From: mit-eddie!hercules.acsu.buffalo.edu!tobin@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mike Tobin)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 14:22:54 EDT

Neil sez,
> I vowed to myself that when I could afford a decent car then I would make
> use of the flappy roof on all possible occations. If it was above 10 degrees
> Centigrade and not raining then the roof would come down!
>
> Last year I bought a Triumph Herald 13/60 convertible and have so far kept
> that promise to myself. Although I must admit that I get a few funny looks
> from time to time!
>
> The moral of this story: You only miss things when they're gone. Buy a big
> jacket and a hat instead!!!

I had a Hillman Minx ragtop I drove that way.  The aerodyanmics were
such that at any airspeed above about 10kts I'd stay dry in the rain -
just keep moving.  Sold it :-(, for a Healey :-), and now the rain whips in
from behind and and even comes over the screen.  With the top up it's a
little dryer.

The Hillman's heater actually put out heat (musta slipped by a Smith's
inspector) and with the calm cabin it was actually quite toasty.

"It's got safety tubes,                                         Mike Tobin
And I'm not scared.
The brakes are good,
And the tires are fair."    -HotRod Lincoln