CD175 Weirdness

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM (TR Group)
Subject: CD175 Weirdness
From: Larry Gillam <mit-eddie!hpfcpq.fc.hp.com!gillam@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 90 14:21:34 MDT
        I've got one for ya......I rebuilt both CD175s on my '72 TR6. The
        rebuild included gaskets, replacing both by-pass valves, needles,
        and the stock fuel valves with Grose Jets. I install the carbs on
        the car and start to tune. After adjusting the mixture we check the
        air flow on both carbs with the flow gauge(?). First check rear carb
        and then the front carb...oops front carb stumbles and almost quites
        with flow gauge up against carb throat. Upon investigation we find
        it's flooding out because of fuel being pumped up through the needle
        opening(not sure of proper term). The flow gauge was covering the
        bowl vent. Seemed to work fine when you don't plug the bowl vent
        (Yea, I know....Then don't do that!). The disturbing thing is that
        the rear carb doesn't do this. You can plug the rear carb vent hole
        without any problem! We spent > 1 hrs. swapping everthing possible
        between the rear and front carb with no success.

        After a frustrating couple hours we decided to ignore this anomaly
        and act as if everything was OK. It seems to run OK, but it still
        bothers me.

        Has anybody else experienced this problem(?) with the front carb?

                                        Larry
                                        Loveland, Colo.