Re: Hydraulic Systems

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Hydraulic Systems
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!augi@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 9:20:15 EDT
> If you are going to store the car or drive it, silicone is a good
> idea.  If you are going to DRIVE it, think about it.  For hard driving
> (I autocross) silicone has proved to be a disaster in my Midget.  I
> can't get the air bubbles out of this stuff and wind up with a spongy
> pedal and its a toss of the coin which rear brake locks first.

Silicone can be *very* tough to bleed.  A good trick to save yourself
effort is to only punch a small hole (2 or 3 mm in diameter) in the seal
on the bottle of brake fluid.  This will force the fluid to pour very
slowly from the bottle into the reservoir.  If poured carefully, you
should be able to totally avoid those tiny bubbles that are so hard
to bleed.

                                                        Joe