TR4A: IRS or no IRS?

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: TR4A: IRS or no IRS?
From: mit-eddie!sybase.com!barry@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (barry klawans)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 12:48:22 PST
I've recently started looking around for a roadster and have a question for all
of you TR types out there.  After driving a TR4A I find I really like the car,
and suddenly I like the styling of the car alot more than I did before driving
one.  My question is about the IRS on this car; namely is it worth looking
for a car equiped with it?  I plan to use this car for both daily driving and
autocrossing, so I will be driving it harder than the occasional weekend joy
ride in the country.

The car I drove had the live axle rear, but I didn't get a chance to see how
the car handled near the limit since the seller had some firm rules about what
he would allow during a test drive.  I guess what it all boils down tois
I'm wondering if the IRS improves handling enough to wait for a car with it,
or is it another complication to worry about breaking that doesn't add much to
the car's performance?  For that matter is there a weight penalty to having
IRS?  I know that both IRS and live-axle 4A's used the same frame, so I would
guess that the weight difference is negligable.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Barry Klawans                                           Sybase
Standard disclaimers apply.                             6475 Christie Ave
UUCP: {mtxinu,sun,pyramid,pacbell}!sybase!barry         Emeryville, CA  94608

Remember, friction is our friend.