Re: Loonies, collectors, and the 'minor rebuild'

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Loonies, collectors, and the 'minor rebuild'
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!jesup@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Randell Jesup)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 22:06:25 EST
>Beware, beware, the apparently innocuous 'complete checkout', the supposedly
>benign 'just-have-a-look,replace-a-few-parts & button-it-back-up' project,
>the 'oh-I'll-just-replace-the-bearings-this-weekend' thoughts.

        He tells the truth!  Look how my simple I'll-fix-the-bad-front-end-
bushings ended up: 'Might as well replace these wheel bearing while I'm here,
who knows how good they are' ... 'These disks have a little scoring, better
replace them while it's apart' ... 'these old pads wore a little unevenly,
and the boot on a piston is torn, I think I need to rebuild the calipers,
put in new flex hoses, etc' ... 'hmmm, it would be easy to put in those poly
bushings while I'm here, and all 6's always need the rubber rack bushings
replaced' ... 'New ball joints and tie rod ends aren't that expensive, and
I DO want this repair to last' ... 'some nice uprated springs would be nice,
and these old shocks are pretty rusty, let's get some nice SPAX' ... 'Hmmm,
these Addco bars are real cheap from JC witless, and I neede to replace that
swaybar bushing anyways' ... ... ...  You get the idea.

        Of course, if I got the parts I've been waiting for since JULY from
Dr bob (hint hint), I might stop this and get it back on the road, before I
start ordering too many body panels (those rockers are pretty iffy and rusty,
isn't someone having a sale on rockers...... here we go again.)

        Randell