Oil pressure, Bearings

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Oil pressure, Bearings
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 12:42:01 EST
>From: Timothy Lyle Smith <mit-eddie!plains.NoDak.edu!tsmith@garp.MIT.EDU>

            Thank you for all the advice and suggestions.  I took the center
            bearing cap off this weekend and sure enough, the bearing is
            down to the copper.  So now that I know the bearings need to be
            replaced, does anybody have know of a way to do this without
            removing the engine?
            The reason that I was told for removing the engine
            is because the front and back engine plates have to be removed
            before the front and back bearing caps can be removed.

First the bad news:
In a Spridget, this is true, you do have to pull the engine to do the main outer
main bearings. (Rods can be done in situ) Looks like it's time to consider
a complete checkout/bottom end rebuild. If the bearings are gone, other things
are probably due anyhow. (including the oil pump, which also requires engine
removal.)
The good news:
Spridget engines are light, and pretty easy to remove. You can remove them
with or without the transmission. (in an MGB it's easier to do it with. In
a Tiger, you do it without, and it's tight!)

        Re: hoods (tops) I prefer a tonneau- no rattly bits, easy to deal with,
always good visibility. (I have all 3 types for my 'B) Then, I also like the
cars without roll-up windows- nice light, simple doors. My '64 Sprite and
MG PA both meet this qualification :-), but I've got no tops for either-
(well, an old rag on a frame for the sprite...)
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!