[Bricklin] Legislative Alert from Summit Racing

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Bricklin] Legislative Alert from Summit Racing
From: "Greg Schroeder" <gschroeder@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:24:18 -0600
I received this from Summit today.  This is another attack on our hobby
similar to the offer occurring emissions testing for antique vehicles.

Greg 0036

            Dear Fellow Enthusiast,

            As a SEMA Member Company, we have received an Urgent Legislative
Action Alert from the association. You may be interested in this legislative
alert and the possible impact it will have on your hobby.

            The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) is a non-profit
trade association composed of more than 6,800 member companies involved in all
aspects of the automotive industry, from manufacturers to car clubs and race
teams.

            The SEMA Action Network (SAN) protects your hobby from unfair or
unnecessary legislation on national and local levels. Through distribution of
information and the collective voice of automotive enthusiasts and businesses,
the SEMA Action Network has successfully impacted legislation concerning
scrappage laws, equipment standards, registration classifications, emissions
regulations, and more.

            The following information is directly from SEMA. If you would like
to contact the lawmaker, follow the instructions in the alert.

            Thank you for your time,
            Your Friends at Summit Racing Equipment

            Washington lawmakers are drafting a large economic stimulus
package to help create jobs and rebuild infrastructure. They want to include a
nationwide scrappage program which would give U.S. tax dollars to consumers
who turn-in older cars to have them crushed, as a misguided attempt to spur
new car sales. The lawmakers need to scrap this idea.

            The stimulus package is being drafted right now. House Speaker
Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) wants to introduce the bill on January 6 and have it
approved by Congress by January 20, so that President Obama can sign it into
law after he is inaugurated.

            Contact House Speaker Nancy Pelosi IMMEDIATELY To Oppose Cash for
Clunkers!
            Call: 202-225-0100
            Click here to send an electronic message:
http://speaker.house.gov/contact/
            Talking Points
            Feel free to use any of the statements below as a starting point
for your message to Speaker Pelosi.

              a.. I am [calling/writing] to urge lawmakers not to include a
bCash for Clunkersb provision in the economic stimulus bill. Owners who
turn in vehicles for crushing would receive a "minimal" payment to purchase a
new car. This is a misguided attempt to spur car sales and claim that the
countrybs air quality or fleet fuel mileage is being improved.

              b.. I work for [company name] located in [city and state]. My
company is part of the specialty automotive industry, an industry which
enables consumers to enhance their vehiclebs appearance, performance,
comfort, convenience and safety. bCash for Clunkersb programs deny our
small businesses the availability of older cars necessary to develop and
market their products and services. The programs will hurt my company and our
customers.

              c.. bCash for Clunkersb programs threaten enthusiasts
nationwide with the loss of valuable parts and parts-cars for repair,
restoration, and customization projects. The programs also risk destroying
classic, historic and special-interest vehicles, our American heritage.

              d.. Cars turned in for scrappage often barely run, or are
rarely-driven second or third vehicles that have a minimal impact on overall
fuel economy or emissions.

              e.. bCash for Clunkersb programs will reduce the
availability of affordable transportation and repair parts used by low-income
drivers. It will also compete with the Salvation Army, the Purple Heart and
other charities that rely on vehicle donations to raise money.

              f.. bCash for Clunkersb ignores better policy options. If
Congress wants to act, support for repair and upgrade is a better choice and a
win-win for consumers, dealers, manufacturers and repair shops. Significant
emissions and fuel economy improvements can be achieved in older vehicles
through relatively simple and inexpensive means: repaired/replaced exhaust
systems, tune-ups, etc.

              g.. We hope we can count on you to reject bCash for
Clunkers.b Thank you for your consideration on this very important matter.
            If you choose to send a message to Speaker Pelosi, please send a
copy of your message to SEMA also:
            E-mail: briand@sema.org
            Fax: 202/783-6024